Not many dog owners know that dog first aid is ‘a thing’. If you have a baby and something happens you can ring 999. Experts will help you perform first aid over the phone until paramedics arrive who take charge and then transport your baby to the hospital if necessary. Unfortunately, pets do not have that same luxury.
This is a story I heard recently:
“….I wish I had known dog first aid when my dog was alive, it may of saved his life…. I gave my little Westie a treat, and after gnawing on it for a while, he got tired of chewing it and swallowed it whole. It became lodged in his throat and he started to choke. I didn’t know what to do so I rang the vet. The receptionist told me to bring him straight down to the surgery. By the time I got there, he had died. They tried to revive him by pumping him full of adrenaline, but they couldn’t bring him back…”
What a heart-breaking story. This would be a horrifying situation for any dog owner and the feeling of helplessness would probably stay with you for a long time.
What would you have done in this situation? Would you have gone straight in with abdominal thrusts?
There are actually four different ways to help a dog who is choking.
Did you know that abdominal thrusts can cause fatal internal injuries and should only be used as an absolute last resort – only after you have tried the other methods first, your dog is losing consciousness and you are sure he will die unless you attempt them.
Did you know that there are certain human foods, house and garden plants that are toxic to dogs?