Share this post with your network!
We take a look at some of the wonderful organisations that are there to support those struggling to feed their pets this Christmas.
Christmas is a wonderful time for many people but all over the country there will be families struggling to feed themselves, and pets are often the ones who miss out, even when their families want to give them a present.
The mental anguish of not being able to afford to feed your pet or worse having to consider giving up your companion to a shelter would be unbearable at any time let alone this time of year.
You may not be aware but there are amazing organisations up and down the country, run by wonderful people who are trying to help combat this issue. Below is a list of organisations we have been able to find and we wanted to help spread the word about the fantastic work they are doing so that for those who are able to give back this Christmas they can perhaps reach out to make a donation or if they are in need then we can help point them in the right direction.
Please note that many of the organisations may be operating differently during the COVID pandemic so please check their websites for the latest information.
Many people have also set up initiatives in their local communities and so if one of the food banks listed below is not in your area try searching ‘food bank’ on Facebook for more local listings.
Edinburgh Dog and Cat Home
The foodbank offers wet and dry food, jackets, collars, leads, bowls and bedding. Their dedicated and passionate staff are also on hand to offer pet care advice as part of
Social problems such as financial issues, illness, homelessness and domestic abuse can all mean people might struggle to feed or look after their pet. They hope the pet foodbank will help empower owners to continue to care for their own animals.
To use their pet foodbank, please drop into their offices
on Seafield Road East, EH15 1EH.
They have over 14 different donations stations situated across Edinburgh so please take a moment to check their website for your nearest one.
Telephone: 0131 669 5331
CDA Pet Foot Bank
The CDA Pet Food Bank works to supply food to 4 separate food banks shown below:
• East End Food Bank, Elim Church Newcastle, Heaton Road, NE6 1SB
• The Bay Food Bank, The Barn, Meadow Well Way, Meadow Well, NE29 6BA
• Hebburn Food Bank, South Tyneside Children’s Centre, Campbell Park Rd, NE31 1QY
• Walker Foodbank, Christian Centre, Church Walk, Walker, NE6 3DP
They collect food or donations [which they use to purchase food} from local businesses which is then given to agencies who then distribute it to families in need to help feed their pet. They also work to provide basic medications such as flea and worming treatments.
They welcome donations of money to buy supplies or donations of food, treats and toys to help toward filling a shoebox.
Telephone: 07513 741058
Pet Food Bank Service
The Pet foodbank service provides pet food and pet items for:
• Vulnerable people
• Elderly aged 50 and over
• Victims of abuse
• People in a financial crisis or poverty
• Victims of natural disasters
They aim to break the poverty cycle of people sharing their human food with their pets, causing the owners to suffer from malnutrition.
Where you can find them if you are in need:
• Every Tuesday from 12 – 1 – Cardiff PDSA Pet hospital, Nettlefold Road, Trident Park, Cardiff, CF24 5JQ
• Every Wednesday from 9 – 2 at Pentrebane Zone Community Centre, Beechley Drive, Car Park Via Lavender Grove, Cardiff CF5 3SG
• (Homeless) Every Monday and Wednesday 6.30pm – The first carpark under the flyover opposite the wave, Newport
Donations bins are available at:
• Vets 4 pets in Ely. 364-372 Cowbridge Road West, Ely, Cardiff CF5 5BY
• Club 3000 Bingo, Batchelor Rd, Cardiff , CF14 3AX
• Action petz Cardiff, 22-25 Wentloog Buildings, Wentloog Road. Cardiff. CF3 1TH
Telephone: 07871 926934